Thursday, November 02, 2006

Yo Soy Boricua, Pa'Que tu lo sepas!

I'm Borciuan, Just so you know! That's the translation. I stumbled onto this clip quite by accident. Boricuan is a Puerto Rican living in New York. My mom is from New York and is Puerto Rican ergo she is 100% Boricuan!! This show was all about the relationship between Puerto Rico and the United States. I finally learned what Boricua means, and I learned about the Puerto Rican Day Parade. The first parade was held in 1958. My mom was only 7 or 8 at the time, but it is very possible that she went to this historic moment. If not this one, she had to have gone to at least once. I love learning about my heritage, so this clip grabbed my attention immeadiatly. Learning about my Puerto Rican heritage is extremly important to me, and not a lot is known about it. Mi bisabuela Florence Ernest(great-great grandmother) came to NYC from Puerto Rico w/ her husband, her daughter who was pregnant with my grandfather, and her two sons. She told them "We are in America now, we speak English" and that was the end of Puerto Rico for them. Mi abuelo knew about his home land, had visited, and from that the most we are able to gather is that they were originally from San Juan- the capital. Not really sure tho, and we probally have family there. Mi abuelo's brother's, Cecil Gonzales, wife supposedly went back to Puerto Rico w/ her two or three kids. But Gonzales in Puerto Rico is like Miller or Smith in the US. So any family history or any knowledge I gain about Puerto Rico is precious to me.

2 comments:

froggiegirl said...

Have you talked to your mom about the parade yet - I'll be interested to hear if she ever attended and what she remembers.

JBear1982 said...

She never went to one, like mi bisabuela, Pop didn't really talk about his heritage. I wish she and her family had gone. There is so much about her family I don't know, but I am dying to know!