Tuesday, March 07, 2006

You're too young for this....

That's what everyone keeps telling me about my back. Well, apparently my body doesn't give a rat's tail about my age. I got my results from my MRI, if you hadn't figured it out by now. I have a herniated disk. The doctor wants me to see a neurosurgeon, and I tell my parents this and they both say "You're not having surgery!". Umm, I didn't know surgery was an option at this point. Way to freak me out, thanks. So now I'm scared b/c I don't know whats going to happen or how I'm supposed to get better. My Spring Break plans are gone; I can't go and do what I want b/c my stupid back. Great. Could somebody please invent a shot that cures everything and give it to me? When that is invented, let me know!

3 comments:

froggiegirl said...

So I was reading about herinated disks online, and everything I read said that the majority of herniated discs do not require surgery. They try to treat it with medication and physical therapy first and then recommend surgery only if nothing else helps.

I hate shots...but if someone invented a shot that made all body ailments go away, I'd be first in line!

gimlet said...

Take it from someone who has a herniated disc (cervical rather than lumbar), there's a lot that can be done before the dreaded s word is bandied about.

In my case, my doctor referred me to a physical therapist to see if that could relieve pressure and get the healing started. I'm also seeing a neurosurgeon at some point here (yes, a real, live brain surgeon - never thought I'd have to see one of them!).

The physical therapy has been nothing short of amazing. My physical therapist has been great, and my pain and discomfort is slowly but noticeably going away. Hopefully it's the same for you. Good luck!

Merc Man said...

Froggiegirl and gimlet are right, most people with disc problems don't need surgery. Therapy can really improve the condition, so don't get discouraged. I know the pain can be a real drag, but you WILL get better.