Tuesday, May 30, 2006

New Busch Stadium



Yesterday, Memorial Day, I got to go to my first Cardinals game at the new Busch Stadium!!! I was soooo excited, and let me tell ya it is awesome!! The game was a 3:15 game against the Houston Astros. The set up of the stadium is soo cool, there are escalators, Build-A-Bear Workshop where you can make your own Fredbird (I bought an already made one w/ Take me out to the Ball Game chip in it, and catchers gear for my Ryan Bear- who wears the Cards uniform all season long). Different places to eat, Ben and Jerry's has a coupla carts, at least two hardees restruants, and lots more. El Birdos gave me a laugh- bad Spanish( Bird in Spanish is parajro). I took my camera and took lots of shots!! I got pics of the diamond, players in the batting cages, stretching, standing for the National Anthem- I got as close as I could for pics. I looked to see how I could get to the wall against the warning track-couldn't figure it out. Next time I will. Pujols hit his 25th Homerun while I was getting my Fredbird. It was awesome! Unfortunately, Molina was not catching that day. Oh well, I still have at least 2 more games to go to! Hopefully I will get more than 3 chances to visit the new home of the Red birds!
Click here to see Busch Stadium pics.
As Always~ Go Cardinals!!
*UPDATE: I have been informed (by my all knowing father) that the term "El Birdos" is what Orlando Cepeda called the Cardinals back in the hey day.

3 comments:

froggiegirl said...

yes...a coworker has an "EL BIRDOS" sign as his computer wallpaper. I made fun of him until he explained what it meant.

Merc Man said...

I remember going to old Busch Stadium in 1967 and seeing Orlando Cepeda hit a monster home run. I bought a big button with a Red Bird on it wearing a sombrero and serape(?) that said "Bravo, Bravo, El Birdos!". I wonder what ever became of that pin?
I believe Cepeda won the MVP award that year. I can still hear Harry Carey singing "The Cardinals are Coming, Tra-la la-la" every time they won a game. Then we beat Yaz and the BOSOX in 7 in the World Series. AWESOME!!

Merc Man said...

My middle-age brain just remembered that Harry Carey nicknamed Orlando
"Cha-Cha" Cepeda because of the little two-step he had in his batting style.
Man, can it really be almost 30 years ago?!