Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Me- 1, UMSL-0

I just won my battle against UMSL in regards to my calculus class. I will not bore you with all of the long details. Short version: I failed my calc class b/c I didn't have any help and I really needed it...I am legally entitled to help b/c of a learning disorder... the paperwork to prove this didn't make it in time for me to get help and pass my final. Ruling at UMSL is that you must pass the final, regardless of your current grade, to pass the class. I had a C going into the final, but I failed the final ergo failing the class. I have been fighting UMSL since January to have my grade changed. The chair of the math department (Mr. Not so nice word) refuses to change my grade. I finally sought a waiver appeal to waive the calculus requirement for my degree, where I would not have to repeat Calc but I would still graduate. Meanwhile I was taking a horrid calc class (and doing horrid in it) at Meramec- just in case everything got denied, there is no way I am not graduating in August. But finally after six months of frustration and tons of stress, my battle is over. I have an agreement with a guy who is higher up in the Business Administration, who has agreed to waive the Calc requirement granted I get a C- or better in my Ops Mgmt class and meet the criteria for my GPA for the degree, campus, and graduation. I got an A- in my Strategic Mgmt class (that was a hard, but well earned grade). T/m I am going to Meramec and dropping my Calc class. Now I can focus on my Ops Mgmt class- I have a tutor and this new stuff I have notes (which we can use on the tests) have step by step instructions. So now I have to argue for reinbursement from Meramec and sell my book back- I'm getting a full refund on that- believe me they do not want to make me mad...I can be quite devient and a force to be reckoned with when the situation calls for it.
To sum everything up...I have a huge burden removed from my shoulders, and my life will be a lot less stressful. Just gotta concentrate on two classes; one I think I'll get a B, maybe an A and the Ops Mgmt-well I will work extra hard and rely on my tutor and father for help, not to mention speaking with the professor and working with fellow classmates. So for now I am extremly happy!! I am seriously going to need to celebrate on Friday- can't Thursday b/c I have a night class-Ops Mgmt! Oh goody!

1 comment:

froggiegirl said...

Congrats on getting UMSL to wave the calc credit...you might just as well chalk up the meramac class tuition to allowing you to graduate, there's no reason for them to refund all your money, it's not even the same school as the one causing all the issues...