Monday, August 15, 2005

Thunderstorms

Okay, so St. Louis County got hit big time by some nasty thunderstorms on Saturday afternoon. Lucky for me I was in the mall w/ froggiegirl when it hit. Actually we were looking at clothes when Gimlet called froggiegirl and said a nasty storm was headed our way. So she asks "Does that mean you would like us to move your car to the garage", which of course he does. At that point we have no clue how bad this is going to be. So we are on the second level of the garage and it is getting really dark outside. The clouds were moving pretty quick. Suddenly the parking lights go out, the wind starts blowing hard and the pouring rain starts coming in sideways. So froggiegirl and I get half soaked trying to get back into the mall. The fire alarms were going off, and then I get a call from troll boy telling me not to go anywhere (as if I would- I hate driving in these conditions), he says its so dark where he is he can't see the highway. Spooky. So we go shopping, leave about 5ish. Get to froggiegirl's neighborhood and it looks like a tornado went through it. Not to mention the trip on the way there. Manchester was a mess (I know I know whats unuasual about that?) From Laclede Station Rd to just East of Highway 141 the lights were not working and of course there were no cops to help direct traffic. They might get wet! Oh the horror!! Then I had to drive home from Froggiegirl's house to aviod wave 2, which I did. The drive there was fun, almost all of the lights on 141 were out and all of Fenton was dark. Not to mention the lightning storm. The clouds, shelf clouds I believe, were awesome! I have never seen such clouds. Unfortunately I did not get pics. We lost power sometime during the storm and didn't get it back until midnight. So not fun. Sunday we cleaned the branches out of the backyard. According to our rain gauge we got over 4 and a half inches that day. According to the radar, we are in for these storms all week. Oh kill joy.

Update: I have been corrected. The road was Barrett Station. My bad. Apparently power is still out in some parts of Manchester. And I am not surprised, why? Apparently some Parkway schools are also without power. Sorry kiddies, you'll still start school on time. Hahaha!

3 comments:

froggiegirl said...

Actually it was barret station to just east of 141 that was out of electricity on manchester - at any rate, a LONG way. Took like 45 minutes to get from west co mall to my house, and it should have only taken 15-20. Everything was out - taco bell, crazy bowls, walmart, home depot, even walgreens!

At least we didn't loose any big branches/trees in the storm. Just some small branches that we have yet to clean up.

gimlet said...

Hey, I called so the car wouldn't get hailed on. It certainly seemed like we would get some hail, and apparently there was some scattered hail.

I did pull your car into our garage here so nothing would happen to it. It's probably a good thing, too, with all the tree parts that went flying around.

Contrary to popular belief, no chinchillas were allowed into your car to "find" wires. :^)

gimlet said...

Let's say it all together now..."Thank God QuikTrip wasn't damaged!!!"