Monday, August 22, 2005

Take me out to the Ball Game

Okay so Friday night I got to go watch my favorite baseball team and then Sat afternoon I got to go again, b/c Froggiegirl and Gimlet owed me for watching their chinchillas (which I love doing- I get them all hyper and then leave) (which by the way I didn't do in case you're worried Gimlet). Friday night's game was unbelievable!! We came from behind in the ninth to win the game. We are down 4-0 bottom of the ninth. We start getting base hits and then catcher Yadier Monlina (recently off the DL) comes and slams a 3 run homerun, making the score 4-3. John Rodriguez comes up to bat to pinch hit for our pitcher and smacks out a single. Tony LaRussa then makes the awesome decison to have Hector Luna pinch run for J-Rod. Luna is much faster than Rodriguez. Smart move LaRussa. David Eckstein marks the first out of that inning, which is suprising as he is the hardest Cardinal to strike out, (he is amazing by the way!) Abraham Nuñez comes and smacks a single. Luna rounds second and ends up on third. The next batter, Albert Pujols, out, so Jim Edmonds steps up to the plate. Jimmy hits the game winning double. Luna easily scores, and Eckstein chugs around second and third to home plate to score the winning run. After he scores, the Cards dug out empties and swarms second base where Edmonds is. The all tackle him, congratulating him and celebrating the ninth inning rally. The crowd went nuts!! The atmosphere after the game was unreal. Then I got to go on Saturday, where we won again. Oh yea, and some stupid fan through back the ball when the Giants got a homerun. Hello we are not Cubs fans!! We are not chicago, we do not disrespect the other team like they do. I for one am embarassed by this imature behavior. There were several boos when this was done. Hopefully this was a one time, idiotic thing, and will not disgrace Busch Stadium again. St. Louis is known for being the best town for baseball fans. We love our players and show it. The crowd awarded former Cardinal catcher Mike Matheny (now playing for the Giants) w/ a standing ovation when he recieved his national championship ring. He aslo got a 40 second standing O Friday night when he came up to bat. The crowd also gave a standing O for Larry Walker who finally returned from his long time on the DL. St. Louis is unreal in the way they treat their players: for example when Larry Walker first arrived in St. Louis and played for the first time as a Cardinal, he recieved a standing O, and even when he struck out, we gave him another standing O! This one was another game we came from behind to win, though we didn't play our half of the ninth inning. I introduced Gimlet to my family's traditon of keeping score. He was very excited, and proceeded to keep score for the Giants when they came up to bat. I got to keep score for the home team. I had a great time at both games. I love Busch Stadium! I love St. Louis, and I love the Cardinals!
Let's keep it up guys and Let's Go Cards!!!

6 comments:

gimlet said...

I thought the best worst thing at the game was the guy who walked by wearing a...Brett Favre jersey.

Dude, wrong team, wrong sport, wrong town, wrong damn color even!

Luckily the guy with the ice cream chocolate cookie sandwiches came by and erased that from our memories.

froggiegirl said...

Ah yes...the highlight of the game...ice cream sandwiches! ;)

gimlet said...

I thought the highlight of the game was when the couple sitting next to JBear left at about the seventh inning. The girlfriend had been steaming all game long that the boyfriend kept talking to JBear instead of her and must have finally snapped. Too funny.

froggiegirl said...

It wasn't Jbear's fault though...the guy kept talking to her! She was just being polite and answering him.

froggiegirl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JBear1982 said...

I had no idea the girl was steamed. I was just talking baseball, like I always do. Whats so wrong w/ that?