Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Heritage- Part 1

Just looking at me with my golden blonde hair and green eyes (and not knowing me) you wouldn't believe me if I told you I am Hispanic. However I am. I am 25% Puerto Rican to be exact and extremly proud of my heritage. I am half German, and the other 25% is a mix of English and French. English because we found a Noel family crest in England, and French as Noel is Christmas in French. My mother's maiden name is Gonzales. Here is the story behind my unique heritage:

In December of 1929, mi bisabuela Florence Ernest (for whom I am named) (great-great grandmother) moved her husband, her daughter Iris- who was pregnant with my grandfater, and Iris's two sons (Charles and Cecil) from Puerto Rico (where exactly in Puerto Rico we are not sure- we think San Jaun which is the capital city) to New York, New York. They came in through Ellis Island where Iris's last name was changed from Gonzalez to Gonzales. Why we don't know, this is what my grandfather (Pop) told my mom. In January 1930, my grandfather Milton Selvin Gonzales was born. Upon entering the U.S. mi bisabuela said "We are in America now, we speak English" and that was it. No more talk of Puerto Rico or anything. Back then, it wasn't like it is now; where you tell everyone where you are from and are proud of it. In the 1930's everyone just wanted to blend in and be accepted. Most people didn't even know what a Puerto Rican was (take for example my paternal grandfather, Red). The jobs for Puerto Ricans were few and did not pay a lot, but they were jobs and they supported the family. Mi bisabuela was the matriarch of her family and was a very great lady. To me, she is very inspiring. She had the guts to move her family from everything they knew to a place where they knew nothing and didn't fit it. She did it because she wanted a better life for them. My mother was named for her; in fact at first Pop thought mom's name was Florence Jacqueline not Jacqueline Florence as it is- he was very excited to tell his abuela that his daughter was named after her. Mom named me for her as well; Jennifer Florence. One day if I am blessed to have a daughter her middle name will be Florence (not negotiable- its tradition). At first I didn't like it because it was long and different from everyone else's (ex- Jennifer Marie, Jennifer Ann, etc). By high school I realized how unique and special it is and now take pride in its uniqueness.

Times have changed and now if you hail from a different land, you make sure everyone knows it and take pride in it. I am extremly proud of my heritage and one day I hope to learn more about my roots. I learned Spanish in an effort to get closer to it and understand it better.

No comments: