Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Loki!


I haven't blogged about my puppy (dog really as she is 4 but she still acts like she is 3 months old!) Loki in forever, so I thought I would share some updates about her (in an effort to blog more too). As I said before, Loki is now 4 and will be 5 in February- wait I don't want to even think about that one! Loki is still the same rambuctious animal she was when we first got her, although her manners have improved greatly. She listens better (she still has her moments), isn't a complete goober brain all the time. Loki is still nuts about swimming and retrieving. She isn't as enthusiastic about a tennis ball as she is about her retriever. She still has endless amounts of energy. She does have a bad habit of barking a lot when someone comes to the door. Mom likes it b/c then ppl know we have a big dog in the house. I like the intial barking, then I'm ready for her to shut up. Lately, Loki has decided that 9-9:30ish pm is bedtime, and will trot off to my room where she sleeps. She will nudge my door open (if she can) and then flop on the floor and snooze. If she can't open my door, she comes back to the living room with her sad eyes until you open the door or she lays back down in the living room. Last night I went to my room to put something away and I told Loki "bedtime" she got right up and pranced right to my room. Loki has gotten used to riding in my new car- the first time she wasn't so sure b/c of the different smells, but now she is golden. She gets in and takes a nap. I always put a blanket over the back seat to prevent fur getting on my seats. I have noticed recently that she won't come out of the car until you invite her out or give her permission, which is great. That way I can have a hold of her leash, so that when she gets out she won't run in front of anyone unexpectedly. She still has her moments when we wonder if her obedience training even sunk in, but for the most part she is good. She is 62 lbs of solid musle,not an ounce of fat on her. The vet is very happy with her health, and is impressed by her muscle tone. This is a big difference from our last lab, Shadow, who was overweight at 100 lbs and healthy but still some fat at 90 lbs. Loki we have maintained her weight b/c it is far easier to maintain her weight than get her to lose it. Labs are notorious over eaters and will eat anthing in site so its important to make sure they eat the right amount. I love it when we go to the vet and hear that we are doing every thing right. Makes me feel like a better owner :) That's all for the Loki report as of now. Stay tuned, as I'm sure I'll have more Loki Adventures! -cheesy I know, but hey I gotta have fun :)

No comments: