Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rising Waters

St. Louis has been through some rough weather lately. And it doesn't appear we are going to get a break any time soon. Since my last posting about the tornado I have learned more about it. I found out that the tornado traveled 22 feet and was a 1/4 mile wide (the width of my street- two lanes plus a nice shoulder on each side). This tornado made the one that hit Sunset Hills and Fenton back on New Year's Eve look like nothing. Not to diminish what happend then, its just this tornado inflicted a lot more damage. Miracuously no deaths! KMOV did a fantastic job of covering the storm and it seems like everyone had a lot of warning and a lot of information about the storm! Obviously that helped. I keep reading and hearing more about the tornado. The one thing I heard that made me soo happy was that of the volunteers coming out and helping everyone! I love hearing stuff like that, proves that there are caring people in our city. Some people have been helping by reaching out to friends and asking for things. Every little bit is appreciated I am sure. Times are going to be tough, but I think we are going to come out of this okay. It appears that there really are some wonderful people in St. Louis.
Now going to the title of my post: Rising Waters. It has been raining constantly since (and even before) the tornado it. (did St. Louis turn into Seattle and I missed it?) The ground is saturated from previous rainfalls so there is nowhere for the water to go. So the rivers are cresting. One levey, in Poplar Bluff, has already failed. One road by my house has been closed because it is under water. I heard that the levey gate in Valley Park was going to close, but it remains open. News casters are saying that the Meramec River is going to crest t/m at 24 ft. I would imagine that before that the levey gate in Valley Park will close. I am really worried about this flooding. My house will not be affected; I live on top of a big hill. If my house floods somebody better be building an ark and collecting 2 of each animal (except for squirrels and geese). What I am concerned about is 141 at 44 going under. If that happens, I can still get to work, it is just going to take a lot longer to get there. I really don't want that to happen- and call me selfish if you want- I just don't want to have to use all that gas considering the gas prices! I mean really, do the oil companies think we are made of money?! All we can do now is wait and hope for the best.

No comments: