Friday, October 29, 2010

Atlanta or Bust!

Yesterday I officially registered for Alpha Phi Omega's National Convention. This time Nationals is taking place in Atlanta, GA! Today I got the official word that I have the 3 days off I needed to attend Nationals. Nationals goes from Dec. 27th- 30th. My company is closed on the day before New Year's Eve and of course on New Year's eve. So I am going to Atlanta!! This will be my second National Convention. I attended the 2004 National Convention in Denver, CO. An extra perk about Nationals in Denver, was that my uncle Milton lives in Denver. I had the opportunity to see my Uncle, my Aunt Angie, and my cousin Duke for the first time in over a decade. I had a great time at Nationals, I served as the voting delegate for my chapter, I got to see family and ring in the new year surrounded by hundreds of brothers. Normally, I have no clue what I am doing for New Year's until a few days before. This year I know what I'm doing, I will be surrounded by my brothers! Now I don't have family (blood family that is) in Atlanta, but I will have my brothers. I am sooo excited about this. I can't wait to go! I don't want to wish away the time, but I want to go now! I am going as an alumna, so not sure what my role will be. I know I will be volunteering to help out in whatever capacity I am needed. I am definately volunteering for "security patrol". It was called 'Ski Patrol' in Denver. Basically, its brothers patrolling the hallways of the hotels and keeping the peace. Doing things so the hotel doesn't have to worry about it and so we won't upset other visitors. Each shift is two hours long. When I volunteered I got to wander around 3 floors with two other guys talking/joking on the walkie-talkies with other brothers who were on different floors. I remember one brother reporting that an ice machine was leaking and there was a small puddle on the floor. We started trading jokes about it...a tiny puddle became a giant lake within minutes as we asked the brother if he needed a boat to get accross it. It was very funny. The shift was 10 to midnight and we needed something to keep us awake. Not all of us broke up parties. I look forward to seeing brothers I haven't seen in a while, meeting new brothers, and having a great time! Atlanta watch out! Alpha Phi Omega is coming and we are going to rock the city!!

1 comment:

Gabin said...

Nice blog, you 're from missouri no?

If you like this is my blog.. (in spanish and english).

ArtesanĂ­a de Plabras

Good luck, see you :)

Gabin from Argentina